Travel to Japan

Japan is an industrialized nation with a high level of medical care available in cities, similar to care available in the United States.  It is not necessary to be seen at the Student Health Center’s Travel Clinic for travel to Japan. 

For travel to Japan we recommend travelers be up-to-date on routine immunizations.  These include polio, tetanus/diphtheria/pertussis (Td or Tdap), measles/mumps/rubella (MMR), chickenpox (varicella) and Hepatitis B.  You can visit the CDC web site at for more specific information about immunization information and recommendations for travel to Japan.  If you need to update your routine immunizations, you can call the Student Health Center at 650-3400 to schedule an appointment with a nurse to get those vaccines.  You do not need a Travel Clinic appointment to receive routine vaccinations.

Japanese encephalitis is another vaccine that is available for travelers who are going to rural parts of Japan for extended periods of time during periods of peak transmission.  This vaccine is not usually indicated if traveling only to Tokyo and other major cities in Japan.   Please refer to the CDC web site at  for more specific information about Japanese encephalitis disease and the Japanese encephalitis vaccine.  
If Japanese Encephalitis vaccine is something you are interested in receiving, please call 650-3400 to schedule an appointment with Dr. Mamolen. She can review the risks and determine if the vaccine is indicated for you, and then order the vaccine so you can receive it.  It takes one month to complete the series of 2 injections. 

If you have any additional questions about travel to Japan, you may contact the Student Health Center Travel Nurse, Denise Meyer, RN by email at