General Information

Our New Electronic Medical Record System

The Student Health Center is excited to announce that it has implemented a new electronic medical record system (EMR) called Point and Click.  Unlike many EMRs that focus on hospital or private practice clinics, Point and Click specializes in college health.  Over 200 colleges and universities across the country already use Point and Click daily.

Through Point and Click, we hope WWU students will find a more user friendly and updated way to access test results, request prescription refills and communicate with their medical providers.  All patient records will be carefully transferred over to Point and Click so nothing will be lost.  Point and Click will also help Student Health Center staff deliver better health care by providing more accurate and up to date information about patients, enabling safer more reliable prescribing, enhancing privacy and security of patient data and improving patient and provider interaction and communication.

Unfortunately the transition to a new EMR is a complex process.  Although the Student Health Center will be doing everything it can to provide the level of service you have expected in the past, you may experience service delays.

Delays During Implementation May Include:

  • Longer wait times in our reception area
  • Slower visits with nurses and/or providers
  • Delayed responsiveness to questions via the patient portal
  • Additional time needed to login to our new patient portal.


Fear not! 

This transition is not expected to last long.  The Student Health Center hopes that the long term benefits of a new EMR will outweigh these short term inconveniences.

For further questions or concerns, please feel free call the Student Health Clinic at 360-650-3400.


About Us

The Student Health Center at Western Washington University is a primary care medical clinic specializing in college health.  The Student Health Center is staffed by a team of board certified family physicians, nurse practitioners, registered nurses, and support staff.  We provide an extensive array of services including preventive health care and management of health concerns, illnesses and injuries.  We strive to support student success academically, physically and emotionally.

Our Mission

The Western Washington University Student Health Center exists to assist our students to stay well during their college years, get well if they become ill so as to minimize time away from their studies, and to be well lifelong.

Who Can Use Our Services?

The WWU Student Health Center is available to all students enrolled in six or more credits on Western's campus. A student who is registered for 3-5 credits has the option to pay the Counseling, Health and Wellness fee for access to medical and mental health services during that quarter.

We are unable to see former students, students on leave, dependents of students, WWU faculty, WWU staff, or Whatcom Community College students living on Western’s campus.

Same Day or Urgent Appointments Available

We offer same day appointments every clinic day. Walk-in appointments are also available but the wait without an appointment can be significant. We advise calling as early in the day as possible.

If possible, students with an acute illness or injury should call the Student Health Center for an urgent appointment. Urgent walk-in patients will be evaluated by a nurse who will triage them to the appropriate provider.

The Student Health Center's busiest hours during the academic year are between 11:00 AM and 1:30 PM.  Wait times during this period can be as long as 1-1/2 hours for walk-in patients. The shortest wait times tend to be in the mornings before 10:00 AM.

When the Student Health Center is closed, students are advised to seek services from other after-hour medical facilities in the Bellingham area.

Note: The University assumes no financial responsibility for care dispensed at other health care facilities. Students who are seen at other health facilities must use their own health insurance or use private funds to cover resulting charges. It is strongly recommended that all students have some form of health insurance to defray the substantial costs associated with these visits outside the Student Health Center.

Diversity & Inclusion at WWU Student Health CenterLGBTQ+ Western

Western Washington University Student Health Center values diversity and welcomes students and patients from diverse backgrounds. SHC does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status or any other legally protected class status in its services or in its employment practices.

Preferred Names/Pronouns

Although the full legal name will be required for check-in, patients also have the option to include their preferred name in their medical record.  Patients also have the option to designate their gender preference and share their desired personal pronouns with our health care staff during their visit.