It is the policy of the Western Washington University Student Health Center to not provide medical excuses for short-term absences that result in missed classes, exams, or assignments due to illness or injury. In certain circumstances where the illness or injury is prolonged (an absence of more than five days) and requires medical attention or hospitalization we will work with students in providing appropriate documentation.
The decision for our policy is based on:
- our limited staff and resources, which are better dedicated to providing health care access for as many students as possible rather than toward verification of short-term medical absences
- the inability for us to make valid determinations about illnesses or injuries that have been effectively managed by self care
- our commitment to student privacy
This policy is similar to most major universities and is consistent with the recommendations of the American College Health Association.
Students are instructed to contact their professor or teaching assistant in the event they need to miss class due to an illness, injury or an emergency. While absence from class should be a rare occurrence, the Western Washington University Student Health Center encourages students to make mature decisions when they are too sick to attend class. All decisions about the impact of an absence, as well as any arrangements for making up work, rest with the instructors.
How to Print SHC Dates of Service
If you were seen at the Health Center you can print out the dates you were seen from WebView. Here's how to do it:
(Note: This needs to be done from a computer - not your phone)
- Log into WebView
- Click on "Appointments" on the left side of your screen
- Print this information
- On a Windows machine: Press and hold the "ctrl" key on your keyboard and hit the "P" key on your keyboard
- On a Mac: Press and hold the "command" key on your keyboard and hit the "P" key on your keyboard